Jun 2021: The National Petroleum Corporation of Namibia (NAMCOR) and Reconnaissance Energy Africa (ReconAfrica) announced execution of a JOA to develop the resource potential of the Kavango Basin in the northeast. The companies initially entered into a Petroleum Exploration Agreement in 2015 for Licence No. 73.
Apr 2021: Qatar Petroleum agreed with Shell to partner in 2 offshore blocks. Both Shell and Qatar Petroleum will hold 45% in the PEL 39 license pertaining to Blocks 2913A and 2914B in a water depth of around 2,500m, covering an area of 12,300 sq kms. NAMCOR will hold 10%.Shell completed 3 seismic surveys over PEL 39 between 2014 and 2019.
Jan 2021: BW Kudu, a subsidiary of BW Energy, signed an agreement increasing its interest in the Kudu license from 56 to 95%. NAMCOR will retain the remaining 5%. The next step for Kudu, discovered in 1974, will be to secure gas sales agreements and update the development plan for its estimated 37 bcm of gas.
Feb 2020: ReconAfrica (operator, 90%) has purchased a Crown 750 drilling rig to drill in onshore Petroleum Exploration Licence 73 covering the Kavango Basin in the northeast of the country. A 3-well program is planned to penetrate source rocks within the Karoo Supergroup.
Apr 2019: ExxonMobil will increase its deep water acreage in the frontier Namibe basin after signing an agreement with NAMCOR for Blocks 1710 and 1810 (operator, 90%) and farm-in agreements for Blocks 1711 and 1811A (operator, 85%). Seismic acquisition will commence in 2019. ExxonMobil already holds 40% in the PEL 82 license.
May 2018: Azinam is preparing for a multi-well offshore drilling campaign across the Walvis Basin. It holds working interests from 20-42.5% in 6 licenses, however it will first commence a process to identify potential partners to offset costs.
Aug 2017: Chariot has elected not to enter into the first renewal exploration period for licenses covering offshore Blocks 2714A and 2714B. Chariot has acquired 2,128 kms of 2D seismic data and reprocessed historic 3D data over the Blocks.The technical risk has deterred potential partners from committing to a program of exploration drilling.
May 2017: The Ministry of Mines and Energy has issued 2 new exploration licenses to Galp Energia. Galp signed a joint venture with the National Petroleum Corporation (NAMCOR) and will conduct exploration in offshore blocks PEL 82 and PEL 83 from the end of 2017.
Feb 2017: BW Offshore agreed with the National Petroleum Corporation of Namibia (NAMCOR) to farm-in to a 56% stake in the Kudu license and become operator. The FID for the field is planned for the fourth quarter of 2017. The field was discovered by Chevron in 1974 and 7 appraisal wells have been drilled. Gas from the Kudu Gas-to-Power project would be produced by an FPU.
Apr 2016: Tullow (operator, 65%) will continue as a participant in PEL 37 and is committed to drilling and funding an exploration well by March 2017 subject to identifying a drillable prospect. In 2013 Pancontinental (30%) negotiated a farm-in agreement with Tullow. The other partner is Paragon (5%).
Feb 2016: Chariot announced it has completed its 3D seismic survey in offshore Blocks 2312 & 2412A which started in January. Partners are AziNam (20%), NAMCOR (10%) and Ignitus (5%). The survey covered 2,600 sq kms.
No significant news in 2015.
No significant news in 2014.
May 2013: HRT has announced that its first exploration well, Wingat-1, in a multi well offshore program has failed to find commercial volumes of oil at a final depth of 5,000m. The main objective was to test the Albian age carbonate platform but its reservoir quality is much less developed than expected. The well did identify 2 oil source rocks. Next the Murombe well will be drilled 15 kms west of Wingat.
Mar 2013: HRT has commenced drilling the Wingat-1 (2212A/07) exploration well PEL-23 in the Walvis Basin. Wingat-1 is located 200 kms northwest of Walvis Bay at a water depth is 1,034m. It will be drilled to a total depth of 4,100 m by the semi-submersible Transocean Marianas. HRT is the operator of 10 blocks offshore Namibia in 4 Petroleum Licences.
Oct 2012: Eco (Atlantic) announced that the Ministry of Mines and Energy has approved amendments to the work program on the Company's onshore Coal Bed Methane license Blocks 2013B, 2014B and 2114A in the Huab Basin and Block 2418 in the Aranos Basin to include exploration of shale gas. An exploratory well on each of the two blocks is planned by 2015.